Expanding your network can seem like a daunting task, but it is something that can really help you get a job. The procedure for meeting new people is simple:
- Use your alumni network or Meetup.com to discover events that are relevant to coding. This is something that we recommended doing at the start of your coding journey and hopefully, you have been participating already. If not, it is not too late to join coding meetups, groups and events like hackatons.
- The next step seems obvious, but it takes a bit more nerve to do it. Walk up to people and introduce yourself. If you guys don’t make a good connection that’s ok, maybe the next person will.
- Be open about your coding interests and inquire about the interests of others. If they are doing something you are interested in, take them out for coffee and get to know them.
- After events, be sure to add people to your LinkedIn profile. You can also reach out by email.
- Be helpful, lending a hand to others especially with your coding skills will make you seem like a friendly person who others might want to hire. People are more likely to help you if you help others.