There are lots of resources that point towards the big tech companies being willing to hire someone without a Computer Science degree. The caveat is that you must show them that you have equivalent experience and they will still test you on your knowledge of computer science topics including data structures and algorithms. So the premise is that if you can show them that you know the same information that is covered in a CS degree by acing the interview then you can get a job at a major tech company.
Amazon helps employees become software engineers in 9 months (aboutamazon.com)
Software Development Engineer
· Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
· Bachelor’s degree in computer science related fields OR 1+ years equivalent experience in software development
· Experience developing cloud software services and an understanding of design for scalability, performance and reliability, while exploring technical feasibility or trade-offs, and making data-driven decisions
· Development experience defining, developing and maintaining API interfaces
· Excellence in technical communication with peers and non-technical cohorts who may be remote
· Solid knowledge of software development methodologies and best practices.
· Ability to tackle big, incompletely-specified problems and resolve ambiguity in the customer’s favor
· Experience building and optimizing highly computational systems is a plus
How we hire – Google Careers
Software Engineer, Early Career, Campus
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related technical field, or equivalent practical experience.
- Software development experience coding in a general purpose programming language.
- Experience working with Data Structures or Algorithms (i.e. data structures /algorithms class, coursework/projects, research, internships, or other practical experience in/outside of school or work (including open source hobby coding).
- Experience working one or more of the following: web or mobile application development, Unix/Linux environments, distributed and parallel systems, machine learning, information retrieval, natural language processing, networking, developing large software systems, and/or security software development.
- Interest and ability to learn other coding languages.
- Working proficiency in verbal and written English.
- Ability to start in 2021 or 2022.
Microsoft Doesn’t Require a College Degree for Entry-Level Positions (businessinsider.com)
Careers FAQ Page (microsoft.com)
Software engineers (SWEs) work with teammates to solve problems and build innovative software solutions. You are passionate about customers and product quality, and you provide technical guidance to Program Managers as they consider user needs and product requirements. You will also be expected to demonstrate an ability to learn and adopt relevant new technologies, tools, methods and processes to leverage in your solutions.
As a SWE, you are dedicated to design, development and testing of next-generation software which will empower every person and organization on the planet to achieve more.
- Applies engineering principles to solve complex problems through sound and creative engineering.
- Quickly learns new engineering methods and incorporates them into his or her work processes.
- Seeks feedback and applies internal or industry best practices to improve his or her technical solutions.
- Demonstrates skill in time management and completing software projects in a cooperative team environment.
- Pursuing or have recently completed a bachelor’s or master’s degree in engineering, computer science or related field.
- One year of programming experience in an object-oriented language.
- Ability to demonstrate an understanding of computer science fundamentals, including data structures and algorithms.